Wargame Mat (Version 5)

Following the failure of Wargame Mat version 4, I ordered another fleece mat from an on-line fabric printer. I used a slightly greener base colour and a very feint 70 mm hex grid on a sheet of fleece 2400 x 1500 mm.

The mat arrived in less than a week and the colour and texture is fantastic. However, I miscalculated on the hex-grid and it is so subtle that you can't see it.
Given that the mat itself is so good, I decided to mark the corners of the hexes on the mat myself. I have a hex template made of MDF with holes drilled at each hex corner. The template covers a broader area of around 7 hexes in width.
I decided to mark the corners using a washable marker, that way if I don't like it I can just wash the mat and start again. I chose a tan coloured marker and in a few hours had the mat all marked up.
Here is a photo of it with some recent Austrian infantry aligned to the 70 mm hex grid.




At a distance, the hex grid is barely noticable, but up close each hex is clearly marked. I noticed that the washable markers faded after initial drying so I am waiting a few days before deciding if i need to lighten them further.
With the washable markers, a light, damp cloth is all that is needed to fade the marks. A more subtle fading can be done by just rubbing with a dry cloth.

The base image used for the wargame mat is the adjusted option in the following linked file. It has a repeating pattern. WargameMat70mm

Next steps were to make the river sections and associated foam sheets under the mat. This step reuses the 48.5 cm large hexagon sheets created in a previous version of the tabletop. The corners of these larger hexagon sheets are shown on the wargame mat by the small, lighter green static grass clumps. These hexagon sheets sit under the mat and provide the 3 dimensional shapes of hills and rivers.


Wargame mat set up ready for Durenstein scenario below:


Comments

  1. Hello - Just discovered your blog here in the USA. Good stuff! Your tables look great and I want to emulate them. Can you tell me the exact name, brand, colors, vendors and any other specifics of Versions 4 &5 of the cloth mats? (I especially like the look of Mat 4's colors.) For prototypes, I'm planning to use plastic transparent sheets with imprinted hexes atop the mats, then putting plexiglass across them. Forests, towns, etc will be scatter terrain, with hills being 'drop-ons' but composed of the basic cloth material.
    Thanks for any info / advice you might , and I hope you resume blogging! All the best and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - yes, I've been a bit lax on the blogging but happy to help.
      I've ordered the last few mats through Bags of Love. Although an Australian site, the order appeared to have been sent from the UK.
      I used Polar Fleece 285 gsm with the attached image repeated. I found this image on-line and it repeats seamlessly so there are no borders between images. I overlay my hex grid on this image (currently using an 80mm grid). The website lets you set the printed design on the material you choose. The cost is about $130 AU for a mat 2.4m x 1.55m (8 ft x 5 ft). Not cheap but the quality and end result is great. The maximum width is 1.55m (5 ft). The colour of the printed mat is actually a bit deeper and greener than the photos often show.
      The hex grid is barely noticeable on the mat in play. It's only when you look closely that you see it. This is perfect for getting the balance between playability and aesthetics.
      I've played around with lots of different versions of mats and ideas but having the hills and river banks under the mat has provided the nicest look. The fleece mat nicely drapes over the hills.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply on the mat(s)! Much appreciated. I didn't find/see the attached image referenced in your reply. Might you kindly send the image and/or jpgs of the mat material,to me at ebonforte@cox.net? Ill then try printing out a color prototype(s) on cardstock.

      Came down with Covid so I'm sequestered in the basement Bunker. On tap for tonight's entertainment is to read over your rules set. I too am a big fan of Clausewitz, mostly for his historical studies so Im looking forward to hearing your ideas. My wargame buddy and I mostly do Baccus 6mms and our tastes tend to run toward the Blucher/Volley and Bayonet range but with hexes because they make things so much simpler.
      Thanks again for any help you can provide.

      Delete

Post a Comment