Smoliani 1812 AAR

During the retreat from Moscow, Victor was ordered to take the bridges over the Lukomlia River to ensure safe passage for the main French army to the south. Wittgenstein must hold the bridges and capture Smoliani to deny the French a line of march to the south (Senno).

Note: I didn't have enough Russian or French units for this scenario and have substituted the Opolchenie with Austrian figures. I'm also using Bavarians to cover the Berg and Baden brigades.

Full scenario

The initial setup is show below. The French are deployed on high ground to the east of Smoliani. The Russians have a vanguard detatchment near the large lake with the rest of the army deployed along the Lukmolia River. The French must take the initiative in this sceanrio if they are to win.

Turn 1

In this scenario I am playing the French against the Russians using the newly devised programmed opponent which introduces written orders into the Vom Kriege rules.

With a good command roll my French Light Cavalry Division advances rapidly to sieze the Senno road and immediately threatens the Russian right flank. The Smoliani township is to the right and the Russian right wing at the top of the photo, straddling the Lukmolia River.


Further good command rolls allow the whole French position to advance down into a narrow valley. The nearest Divisions are on orders to take the Smoliani township and the ridge to it's south.


The Russian programmed opponent chooses an aggressive battle plan and dispatches half of Jachwill's cavalry to the right flank to counter my French light cavalry on the Senno road (top left). The Russian right flank advances across the Lukmolia River towards Smoliani but is slowed by the difficult terrain.


Continuing the aggressive battle plan, the First line of the Russian left wing crosses the Lukmolia River. The attached artillery limbers up and moves to cross at the bridge.


Turn 2

I've sent some of my French light cavalry forward to further threaten the Russian flank with the bulk of the Division holding the Senno road. However, the response from the Russians is swifter than I anticipated with 3 regiments moving to cross the river to intercept.

At the top of the photo (taken from the Russian side), my French brigade reaches the ridge behind the field with its artillery in the lead. An answering barrage from the Russians forces one of the brigade's batteries to retire off the ridge.


View from the Russian centre. The 1st Brigade of the 12th Division has taken Smoliani!

The Saxons pause on the ridge and start to bombard the Russian vanguard holding the position between Smoliani and the lake.


Looking from the French right flank, Daendel's 26th Division has already pushed a regiment and supporting artillery forward to the lake, and a second column advances to the right to meet the Russian line advancing from across the Lukmolia.

The aggressive battle plan for the programmed opponent has resulted in a much bolder Russian advance than I would have used if playing both sides solo. However, I've had some very good command rolls and most of my units have been able to reach their initial objectives in these first 2 turns.

Turn 3

The Russians send additional cavalry reinforcements to their threatened right flank. There are 6 light and heavy regiments moving to cover my 5 light cavalry regiments. And while my artillery forced one of the Russian foot batteries to retire, the Russian battery reformed and then fired down the flank of the hussars near the lake. Fortunately their aim was off, but its tempting fate sitting out in the open like that.


In the centre, I have taken Smoliani with a brigade of light troops from the 12th Division and deployed in the adjacent field. The Russians have advanced 3 battalions to the outskirts of the town and next turn will see the first fighting in earnest.


On my right flank, I've dispatched 2 regiments of Chasseurs and some horse artillery to help counter the Russian move over the river. The brigade by the large lake has received some heavy casualties from artillery fire and has retired. The second brigade has deployed into line and advanced up the hill between the two woods. A Russian brigade, however, has beaten them to the crest of the hill in the middle of the photo.


Turn 4

The Russian and French cavalry clash on the Russian right flank. Two French and one Russian regiment routed from the carnage, leaving the Russian Dragoons with the honours. Both sides have plenty of reinforcements to continue the melee although their respective commanders were wounded in the initial melee.


The view in the centre from the Russian side below. A series of vollies from the Russians inflicts serious casualties on the French holding the town and 1 battalion retires from the town.

On the left of the town, the Saxons have charged across the valley and formed up in line ready to attack the Russian vanguard between the town and the lake.


On the Russian left flank, the Russian cuirassiers have advanced to meet my light cavalry. The Russian infantry between the woods lets fly a devasting volley that sends the French artillery fleeing back down the road.


After 4 turns the Russian programmed opponent has acquitted itself quite well. The introduction of written orders has also restricted my ability to react and feels more realistic. There is no doubt that the programmed opponent has rolled up a set of orders which are more aggressive than I might have chosen myself. This has actually disrupted some of my planned attacks.

Turn 5

My hussars keep routing following the cavalry melee. I've decided to just hold the Senno road at this stage.


In the centre, the Saxon attack has been moderately successful. The Russian line has broken and the Russian reserve is crossing the bridge in support. I've moved forward a supporting brigade for the Saxons in the hope of exploiting any break-through.

A poor command roll for my light infantry in Smoliani means the troops just sit tight for the turn.


The Russian cuirassiers charged my chasseurs and they were beaten back across the river. I've got a horse battery nicely placed to disrupt any further advance on across the river.

With prospects looking good in the centre, my right flank is just going to play a holding role.


Turn 6

Broader view of the action on the French left flank and centre. I've finally rallied my hussars before they exited the table.

It's a bit of a stalemate until I can bring up more infantry to consider an attack on the Russian position defending the river.


The Saxon attack stumbles as a volley from the Russian jagers routsa battalion. I've got plenty of support though with the elite Polish brigade now supporting at the bottom of the photo.

In an unexpected move, the Russians have attacked Smoliani and forced back one of the French defending battalions. With little support behind the Russian attack, I'm hopeful of a successful counter-attack, and then push through to secure the town from further attacks.


The right flank sees the fire-fight continue between the two lines. My unopposed horse artillery is causing a real nuisance too. I'm happy to just hold the Russians here and tie up all those units behind the river.


Turn 7

On the French left flank, I'm slowly bringing up additional infantry battalions to prepare for the attack.


The Saxon attack between the town and the lake looks like it will be successful, albeit at the cost of 2 battalions routing (bottom of photo). The Russian dragoons are stubbornly holding their ground despite several musket volleys.

My attack on Smoliani itself is proving to be a see-saw battle, Russian reinforcements have also crossed the river behind the town.


On the French right flank, the Russians are retiring back to the river after some heavy losses.


The actual battle of Smoliani was a fairly uninspiring clash, with the French eventaully withdrawing off to Senno. It's clear that the terrain and the location of Smoliani township itself makes it difficult for either side to achieve a decisive victory.

Turn 8

My infantry and cavalry are massing on the left flank. The forward position of the Russian artillery is proving to be a nuisance and my counter-battery fire with light artillery isn't all that effective.


Just when I thought I had control of the centre, the Russian dragoons charged the Saxon infantry, routing both battalions! These dragoons were all but spent last turn and now they sit thumbing their nose at my retreating troops. I managed to rally the other Saxon battalions that had previously routed but the extent of casualties probably rule this brigade out of action for the remainder of the battle. The fresh Polish brigade will have to recover the situation.

It's a slog-fest in the Smoliani township and the Russians are bringing up plenty more support. The General commanding my light brigade has also been wounded and it may be prudent to pull them out of the town before they go the way of the Saxons. I might have to re-think my attack plans.


The Russians have now almost pulled back entirely to the river. I doubt I'm strong enough to attack as the Russians have 4 batteries massed behind the river near the bridge and a fresh reserve division on the ridge back from the river.

All-in-all my left flank looks like the best chance for victory. I might commit the heavy cavalry reserve to that flank and have one last crack at breaking the Russians.


Turn 9

Preparations are done for the left flank attack. My counter-battery fire has disrupted the Russian artillery and I have called up the heavy cavalry reserve for support (off-screen).


With some great command rolls I manage to rally all the Saxons. They still have plenty of hits so its still unlikely they will join the battle. The Polish artillery has sent the Russian dragoons packing so I'll advance to open centre next turn.


View from the Russian left flank. There is an imposing array of Russian troops sitting behind the river and defending in depth. I'm just focussing on containment here with a much smaller French force.


Turn 10

My left flank attack gets underway. I've pushed 5 battalions forward and they have held firm in the face of a barrage from the 2 Russian batteries. On the left, the heavy cavalry reserve joins the light cavalry, ready for a mass cavalry charge next turn.


The view from the French centre and right below. Three columns retake the centre (to the left of the large lake) and the Saxons are rallying quickly to the rear.

My hold on the Smoliani township hangs in the balance, but I'm going to rely on my troops pushing forward either side of the town to threaten the flanks of the Russians pressuring the town.


Turn 11

My left flank attack goes in! The French infantry to the right of the lake are reasonably successful, routing a Russian battery and pushing the Russia infantry back to the river.

I've got nearly 2 full divisions of cavalry advancing to the charge against the Russian cavalry.


In the centre, the battle for the town continues to hang in the balance. My Polish brigade has formed up to the right of the town. The Russian position looks too strong so I'm going to wait to see the outcome of the left flank attack deciding what to do with the Poles. There is only 3 turns left until night-fall and it may be more prudent to secure Smoliani as the major objective of this scenario.


Turn 12

The French cavalry charge on the Russian right flank starts off with mixed success as the French lancers are repulsed by Russian dragoons. However, a charge by the elite Carabiniers shatters a whole regiment of Russian dragoons, seen routing off the table at the bottom of the photo. 


The French infantry attack on the Russian right flank is moderately successful but with heavy losses. A Russian battery and battalion are routed across the river but 2 French battalions are routing back to the rear and their French commander is still seriously wounded.

There isn't much left of the Russian right flank and I can probably sweep the remains up after I finish off the Russian cavalry next turn.


There isn't much action in the centre or left flank. Smoliani township is still in dispute.

The Russians dispatch a regiment of cossacks (bottom of photo) to support their right flank although I think they will be too late.


Turn 13

View from the Russian right flank looking back across the battlefield. The French Carabiniers (lone unit at bottom of photo to the right of the river) continue to run rampant, dispatching the remaining Russian cavalry back across the river and end up facing back towards their own lines after charging into the rear of asome Russian dragoons. Even a close range barrage from the horse artillery fails to stop them.

With their commander seriously wounded, my French infantry fail to follow up their initial success. With 2 battalions routing to the rear (left of photo), I'm afraid the whole brigade might rout.

The whole battle now hinges on the outcome on this flank, but I'm afraid that night-fall will intervene before any decisive blow can be landed.



Wittgenstein looks to his right flank in dismay as his centre and left flank hold firm. 


Turn 14

Final turn of the scenario and I've all but demolished the Russian right flank albeit with heavy losses. The French Carabiniers charged across the river and sent another regiment of Russian cavalry packing. A lone Jager battalion remains on this side of the river. If there had been a few more turns, my cavalry could have rolled up the Russian centre as well.


The view (photo below) from the French side looking at Smoliani and the French right flank. It's ended as a stalemate in Smoliani itself with each side having a battalion invested in the town. 

No further action ensued across the centre and right flank.


The end result of the scenario was a draw with the points as follows:

French: 5 Russian units routed (25) + 29 hits on Russian units  (29) + Major Objective (10) = 64 points

Russians: 55 hits on French units + Major Objective (10) = 65 points

A pretty even affair, with the greater Russian numbers more than offset by their poorer command quality. An not a bad debut for the programmed opponent as the Russians. There were enough surprises thrown at me that it wasn't that easy to predict the Russian moves.

Comments